Environmentally Sustainable Facility
Ios Ranch’s training facility was remodeled with an intention for a sustainable future. Those words get used a lot but the plan was to minimize our footprint, use renewable resources, and keep operating costs low. With those goals in mind, the owners researched the best materials and methods to reduce the environmental and social impact of the facility, including:
- Over 80% of the old facility was re-purposed or recycled
- A 9Kilowatt (one of the largest on Bainbridge) solar electric system was installed
- Solar tubes for heating hot water
- 10,000 gallon (total) rainwater collection system. This water is used to irrigate the outdoor arena and the grassy areas.
- A no-water, dust-free footing installed in the indoor arena.
- Passive solar heating, combined with a ductless heat pump, to keep heating costs low in human spaces.
- Auto on/off lights to reduce waste.
- State of the art arena lighting.
- Stormwater control system—only 2% of excess water leaves the facility.
- Mud-free paddocks thanks to a stable grid system and gravel base.
- Bamboo siding on the stalls and walls, a product that is sturdy and horses naturally do not like to chew!
- State-of-the-art manure composter that turns raw manure into topsoil in just 12 days.